(Ph) 207-435-4361
(Fax) 207-435-6229

Town Clerk Kimberly Mapley (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.), Deputy Town Clerks Susan Rogers (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) or Corrine Routhier (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) are available Tuesday through Thursday between 8 am and 4:30 pm  and Friday 8 am and 2:00 pm. 



Things to remember to bring when re-registering a vehicle (this vehicle is already registered in your name):

  • Current Exact Mileage
  • Proof of valid insurance, either paper or electronic, for the vehicle being registered
  • Old yellow copy of your expired registration

Things to bring when registering a NEW vehicle (this vehicle has never been registered in your name):

If a Dealer Sale:

  • Current Exact Mileage
  • Proof of valid insurance, either paper or electronic, for the vehicle being registered
  • Dealer's bill of sale that shows proof that sales tax has already been paid. This form is usually yellow
  • Maine State TITLE application

If a sale through a third party:

  • Current Exact Mileage
  • Proof of valid insurance, either paper or electronic, for the vehicle being registered
  • Bill of Sale with the sale date, VIN of the vehicle being sold, and name and address of the seller.
  • Original previous title signed over to the buyer and signed by both the buyer AND the seller. If the vehicle is 1995 or newer, the purchaser is required to file for a title in his/her name.

Due to the time it takes to process a new registration, NEW REGISTRATIONS WILL NOT BE PROCESSED AFTER 4 PM M-Th, or after 1:30 PM on Friday.

Trailers can be registered for up to 2 years. Camper trailers, however, are excisable because of the living quarters and can only be registered for one year.

Replacement Titles: If you need a duplicate title because yours has been lost, stolen, or damaged in some way, you can apply online at www.maine.gov/online/bmv/mvtr for a direct application for a new title. We can no longer apply for a duplicate title with paper forms. This link is only to be used for a DUPLICATE title, not a new title. This cannot be done through the Town Office; only the owner of the vehicle can apply for a duplicate title. 



If you are a resident of Portage Lake or Nashville Plantation, you can register to vote any time at the Town Office. What are qualifcations for voting? According to Title 21-A M.R.S.A. SS 111, you must be a US citizen, 18 years of age or older, and must have established & maintan a residence in the municipality in which you wish to vote. According to SS 112, the residence of a person is that place where the person has established a fixed and principal home to which the person, whenever temporarily absent, intends to return. (For a list of Titles and Statutes, click here)

Here is a link to a Maine voting residency fact sheet distributed by maine.gov

To apply for an absentee ballot: https://apps.web.maine.gov/cgi-bin/online/AbsenteeBallot/index.pl?fbclid=IwAR2MdJPz7qhG3eAPZHCXGeAGsxGEKyy5iRWxP0Zd39Uuo3RkZaH0OjJBiig



The Office of the Clerk has responsibility for vital records for the Town of Portage Lake: Birth, Marriage and Death records. If you wish to request a certified copy of any vital record, you must fill out a form and provide a copy of an ID. If you are looking for a copy for a family member, proof of lineage must be shown. Contact the Town Office for more information. It may take up to 2 weeks to fulfill a vitals request.

Vital Records Request Application


1 Certified copy of a birth, death or marriage certificate: $15 

Additional copies of certified records purchased at the time of the 1st certified copy: $6 each copy

Marriage Intentions & License costs $40, an additional $15 for a certified copy of the marriage certificate after the license is returned to our office. Please print off marriage intentions and bring them in already filled out when you visit our office to get your marriage license.

Marriage Intention Form:


Dog Licensing

Portage Lake & Nashville Plt. residents can register their dogs online! Click here for more information: https://www1.maine.gov/cgi-bin/online/dog_license/index.pl

Dogs need to be licensed after reaching the age of 6 months or after it has been with the family for 10 days if adopted. Dogs need to be licensed in the town of residence of the owner.

The cost to license a dog in the state of Maine: $6.00 for spayed/neutered, and $11.00 for a dog that is not "altered". In order to license your dog, you will need a current rabies certificate and a spay/neuter certificate if your dog is newly "fixed'. Please bring in your current rabies vaccination certificate when you come in to license your dog. 

All dogs must be licensed for the upcoming year before December 31st. There is a grace period of one month after December 31st in which the owner can register their dog without a late fee. A mandatory late fee of $25 takes effect as of February 1; Town's do not have the authority to waive this fee.

Where does your licensing fee go? For dogs that are not "altered", $10 goes to the Maine Animal Welfare Program and $1 stays with the Town, in our case Portage Lake, as an agent fee. For dogs that are spayed/neutered, $3 goes to the Maine Animal Welfare Program, $2 goes to the Portage Lake or Nashville Animial Control department (depending on which town you reside in), and $1 stays with the Town as an agent fee.

For more information on dog licensing, see MSRA Title 7


Snowmobile & ATV Registrations

Snowmobile & ATV registrations, both resident and non-resident, can be done either in our office or online at: https://www10.informe.org/ifw/atv-snow/


Boat Registrations

Residents can register their boats either in our office or online at https://www5.informe.org/online/boat/

Boats MUST be registered in the town in which you reside due to the excise tax paid. If you live in another Maine town other than Portage Lake or Nashville Plt., please be sure to register your boat in your town.


Hunting & Fishing Licenses

You can purchase Hunting & Fishing licenses either in our office or online by visiting: https://www4.informe.org/cgi-bin/online/moses2/index.pl